The Westerly Library belongs to the statewide Ocean State Libraries (OSL) network so you can borrow from any OSL member library in the state of Rhode Island. Through our website you can search our catalog, request items and renew materials, and even pay your fines - but first you need a library card.
An OSL library card is free of charge to Rhode Island residents and residents of Stonington, CT. Nonresidents who own property in Rhode Island are also eligible for a free card. Valid ID and proof of address are required to obtain a library card. There is an annual fee of $185.00 for nonresidents who wish to have borrowing privileges or $25.00 for a local use card.
Young Adults age 13-17 may provide proof of their enrollment in a public or private school in Rhode Island (class schedule, transcript, report card, etc.) in lieu of a photo ID if they do not otherwise have one. Proof of home address must still be provided if not stated on school enrollment documents. OR a parent/guardian can provide an ID and a signature for the application.
Children age 12 and younger can sign up for a library card in the Children's Room. A parent/guardian must be present, with valid photo ID and proof of residency.
Westerly Library is proud to remove barriers of using the library. We are no longer charging fines on 98% of our collection, including 3-week loaned Books, Movies, and audio books.
However, we do carry overdue fines on a very small portion of our collection, those items are as follows:
Non-traditional items such as mobile hotspots, museum passes, and iPad. $5/day
Express loan items such as 7-day books, and 2-day DVDs. Express books are $0.10/day | DVDs are $1.00/day
*please note, fines free covers material circulating from Westerly Library and Wilcox Park. If you request material from another library for pick up at Westerly Library and Wilcox Park, that libraries borrowing rules, restrictions and fines apply.
· Patrons may checkout up to 25 items at a time from the Westerly Library. 10 of which may be media items.
· Most materials circulate for 3 weeks including books, graphic novels, and TV Series.
· Express Books circulate for 7-days, Express DVD's circulate for 2-day checkouts.
Renewing Materials :
· The library will automatically renew most items twice as long as no other patron is waiting for the item. 2 days before the due date you will be notified via email if your item has renewed automatically or not. Each renewal will last an additional loan period (1 or 3 weeks depending on the item).
Renew in person
· Bring the item(s) and your library card to the Circulation Desk and we will renew them for you.
Renew by phone - Please have your library card handy whenever you call the library.
· Use the toll free automated Telephone Renewal Service, available 24 hours a day at 1-800-359-3090.
· Call the Circulation Desk at 401-596-2877 x930, during library business hours.
1. Click on the link for Library Catalog.
2. Select View Your Patron Record
3. Enter the barcode number from the back of your library card (no spaces)
4. Choose Checked Out
5. Select the items you want to renew
6. Click on Renew
7. When finished click Logout in the upper right hand corner
For additional help renewing materials, click here.
In order to protect patron privacy, the library does not keep records of materials you have returned. If you would like to track what materials you have previously checked out, you may log in to your Library Card Account using your card number and the 4 digit pin number you created. On the left side menu, select the Reading History option. Click on the Opt In button in the middle of the screen. This will automatically start tracking what materials you check out from that point on. Any materials checked out before that time will NOT appear on the Reading History list. This list is only visible to you, and library staff will not be able to see it.
How to receive Text Notifications:
You may sign up for text message notifications, to receive instant messages when your items are ready for pick up, overdue, or have been renewed.
To learn more and sign up click here. You will need your Library card, and Pin number.
If you have additional questions or would like more information contact the Circulation Department at 401-596-2877 x930. Make sure to have your library card number ready.