Head of Youth Services
The Memorial and Library Association of Westerly seeks an innovative, engaged, energetic, and customer-oriented professional for our new Head of Youth Services position at this busy, progressive organization. The Memorial and Library Association, established in 1892, oversees Westerly Library and Wilcox Park and directly serves the communities of Westerly, RI and Stonington, CT. The Association is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization whose mission is to strengthen the community and enrich lives by stimulating intellect and sparking imagination through access to literature, information, technology, nature, and the arts.
The Head of Youth Services works with the Executive and Assistant Director to provide a complete range of Library Services for Children and Young Adults, their friends, families, and caregivers. One of the most important aspects of the job is to provide a happy and positive library experience to all patrons, and encouraging all staff members to do the same. The Head of Youth Services is responsible for overall services and standards provided by the Children’s and Young Adult Departments, supervises all Children’s and Young Adult staff, directs all related programming, develops appropriate collections, selects materials for the Children’s Department, and provides reference and readers’ advisory services for all of its patrons.
- A Master’s Degree in Library and Information Sciences from an accredited Library School
- Eight years or more experience in public libraries, five years of which must be related to Children’s and/or Youth Services.
- Knowledge and experience in the reading, viewing and learning habits of youth and teens.
- Keeps current with library trends and issues in Library service and technology Policies, procedures and functions of library systems, with particular emphasis on services to children, parents, and caregivers.
- Knowledge of the Westerly area a plus.
Applicants should send a resume, letter of interest, and completed application to email@example.com no later than December 13, 2019. Qualified applicants will be contacted through email. Westerly Library and Wilcox Park strives for a respectful and inclusive workplaces with equal employment opportunity for all and is EEOC compliant. Background check required.